Monday, March 14, 2011

Sick Time = Cards Made

Greetings from snowy--yes, snowy Kansas!!  Tonight when the precipitation began it looked like one of those old bean bag chairs had been opened up and the tiny styrofoam pellets were raining down upon us!  It quickly turned to some of the biggest, wettest flakes I've seen in awhile.  The 1/2 inch we were supposed to get became 1 1/2  - 2 inches of snow and the radar looks like there is more to come!  On another note--I have been sick all weekend.  No sleep due to my sore throat pain and today when I got up it was even worse.  Now the ibuprofen isn't even touching the pain.  Enough of my whining!  When I wasn't napping I tried to catch up on some stamping that I've been wanting to do!  I'm demonstrating at an upcoming party and it's so hard to decide what to do--let's see I have 14 possibilities that I've made and can only pick 4...what a dilemma.  I typed this post last night and am home from school today sick.  I'm just back from the Dr. and then waiting for my prescription to get filled.  Hopefully I'll see some results SOON!  I guess I'm a big baby!  Anyway--here are two of my rejects for now....

I really like this set, "Engraved Greetings" that you can get free for a few more weeks with the Sale-a-Bration!  However, as I look at this photo I realize I'm going to have to break down and buy another Big Shot die--the scallop circles #2.  The Thank You scallop is just screaming for a little black in the background of it!  I also will use my black Staz-On ink the next time I make this card--the SU classic black just has too much of a purple tinge to it for my taste.  Anywho--here's what I used:
Stamp Set:  Engraved Greetings
Paper:  Very Vanilla and Newsprint dsp
Accessories:  2 3/8 " Scallop punch, 1 1/4" Black Striped Grosgrain

I really like the looks of this card, but once again since I didn't have a large scallop circle--I made my own trim by punch a strip with my scallop punch, running it through my crimper several times and then gluing it around the back of my image.  It looked great initially--but if you see the card up close you can see all the marks where I folded the trim around through the top circle.  BOO!  I'm going to have to get that Scallop Circle #2 die.  I do love that I found an idea to use my Magnetic Movers and Shapers without the whole large die so now I can cut the backgrounds for my favorite punches!  Yay--can't wait to share this with the stamping group tomorrow.  Here's  what I used:
Stamp Sets:  Thank You Kindly (can get free with SAB), Awash with Flowers
Paper:  Basic Black, Very Vanilla, Old
Ink: Basic Black, Old Olive, Baja Breeze (I stamped off)
Accessories:  Modern Label Punch, Punch Windows, 1 1/4 Black Striped Ribbon, Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder
I'm off to rest and hopefully get better!

2 comments:

amy elizabeth said...

I thought the same thing with the first one! I want more contrast to set the focal stamp from the background. What if you did the scalloped thing in black and did a white circle on it with the Thank You stamp in red?

I don't know the technical names of anything. Feel better soon! Love you!

Dawn said...

Yep--I'm going to have to mess with it a bit! =-)